About CPS – Diploma
College of Physicians & Surgeons (CPS) of Mumbai is an examining body established in 1912 by Surgeon General Sir H. W. Stevenson for meritorious doctors of allopathy desirous to have PG medical qualification before rendering the medical services to the society.
- CPS is one of the oldest Post Graduate Medical educational institution in India empowered to confer qualifications (LCPS, MCPS, Diplomas, FCPS) by Indian Medical Degree Act 1916.
- CPS is an examining body based on Royal College of Surgeons of England and it is like the National Board of Examination (Estd. By Act of Parliament, Govt. of India)
- CPS is an autonomous body governed constitutionally by elected 24 members (faculties of different specialties) with strong democratic traditions.
Aims and Objectives
- Promoting specialty based medical practice. To arrange Post Graduate Medical Training, Research & Advances in the Medical Profession.
- To consider the various governments, semi-government, certain tertiary care hospitals, other private medical colleges and private hospitals for the training of the students in their respective specialty.
- To strengthen the health care system in rural and peripheral areas by making specialists available where MD/MS/DM/MCh are not available.
- Regarding the exit examination, in the MCI Diploma course, theory and practical examination are conducted in the host institute.
- In practical examination, both internal (high chance of bias in the evaluation process) and external examiners are present. Furthermore, passing theory examination is not an essential criterion of eligibility to appear in the practical examination.
- While the CPS Diploma exit examination is conducted by the Royal College of Physician & Surgeons.
Please Note: A degree course in each subject is for 3 years and a diploma for 2 years. No thesis is needed for a diploma course. However work, training and responsibilities, as well as classes, remain the same in a Degree & Diploma courses.Diploma Courses will have 3 Papers. CPS Diploma holds practical and oral exams at the end of the end of 2 years.
Admission process of CPS
As per the new rule admission will be solely on the basis of marks scored in the N E E T exam. Notice for admission shall be displayed on the website of CPS.
- A candidate, who has passed final M.B.B.S., or equivalent, examination from a medical college recognized by the Medical Council of India.
- A candidate who has completed one-year compulsory internship on or before 31/03/2019. University Internship Completion Certificate is mandatory.
- A candidate, who has appeared for NEET-PG 2020. However, candidate should note that only NEET eligible candidate shall be considered for admission process in initial phases of Central Counselling. If seats remain vacant, then the decision regarding the admission to non-eligible candidates/lowering the NEET score for eligibility shall be taken as per the directions of the Central Government/Respective State Government.
- A candidate shall possess permanent registration certificate from State Medical Council of the respective state at the time of joining.
- The “Foreign Medical Graduates” shall have successfully cleared the qualifying exam or eligibility test conducted by NBE, New Delhi.
- In addition to above, a candidate desirous for PG seat in Maharashtra in an institute run by Government, Corporation or any local body, should have passed MBBS from any institution / University in Maharashtra. Candidates, who have passed MBBS from outside of Maharashtra, shall not be eligible for admission to Government institutions, Corporation institutions or institutions run by local bodies in Maharashtra (aided institutions).
Additional criteria for institutes in Gujarat:
Note: Only candidates having Domicile of Gujarat may apply for institutes in Gujarat.
- Initially, students, who have cleared SSC, HSC and MBBS from Gujarat shall only be considered for seats in Gujarat.
- However, if seats remain vacant, then second preference shall be given to candidates who have cleared SSC, HSC in Gujarat and MBBS from outside of Gujarat.
- There will be 15% reservation for the candidates who have cleared SSC, HSC in Gujarat and MBBS from outside of India.
Additional criteria for institutes in Dadra and Nagar Haveli (UT):
- Total seats of Dadra and Nagar Haveli (UT) shall be divided as follows:
- 25% of the seats to the serving doctors in the UT who have served for more than 5 years.
- 25% of the seats shall be reserved for the doctors who have cleared MBBS from Dadra and Nagar Haveli (UT) reserve seats
- 50% of the seats shall be allocated to open category.
- Reservation criteria, including the reservation for economically weaker section (PWF), is applicable to all the aided institutions as per the applicable laws/rules prevailing in the respective States/UT.
CPS Diploma and other courses duration
MCI recognizes/permitted diploma & CPS Diploma courses duration is 2 years, run in both government and private set up with similar quality standard of the host institute similar academic activities and academic activities Clinical activity in both the courses is similar with respect to emergency case handling, surgical exposure, clinical case discussion, case exposure, availability of equipment and diagnostic tool, patient load to be handled, duty hour, night duty and other facilities. Regarding the exit examination, in Diploma course, theory and practical examination is conducted in host institute; in practical examination, both internal (high chance of bias in evaluation process) and external examiners are present. Furthermore, passing theory examination is not an essential criterion of eligibility to appear in the practical examination. While in CPS, the final Exam is counted by college & Physician & Surgeon Mumbai.
Rules for all Diploma courses:
- The training period of Diploma course will be twenty four months (2 years); excluding the period of examination after completion of compulsory rotating internship after MBBS degree or equivalent qualification (recognized by MCI).
- Candidate has to complete four recognized resident stipendiary post each of six months in subject approved by CPS for the completion of the training period.